Tuesday, March 22, 2011

From Must to Strive

"There are three musts that hold us back: I must do well. You must treat me well. And the world must be easy."  Albert Ellis

Interesting that the first two don't appear to allow for mistakes and the last would help keep mistakes from occurring.  In order to grow, we must be willing to accept our mistakes, not fear them.  Doesn't mean we should want to keep making them, but acknowledge the action, learn from it, and move on.  The biggest problem lies in attempting to cover up a misdeed by simply labeling it a mistake.  As a society, we often try to avoid accepting responsibility with, "Well, it was just a mistake."  Accepting one's mistakes does not validate them, nor does it excuse them.  But it does allow for opportunity, growth, and honesty.  And honesty allows us to realize that what we often want to label as a mistake is actually much, much more.

And maybe if we're honest, we can move forward with - I will strive to do well. I will strive to treat you well.  And in so doing, the world may not be easy, but it will be worth the living.

***Just me, just thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know you blogged! I have often lived under the pressure of "I must do well," and I quite prefer "I will strive to do well" instead. Check out my newly created blog: http://iamdreamingofdragons.blogspot.com/

    I know you'll love my theme!

    ReplyDelete