Monday, March 14, 2011

A Battle for Self

Reading REVIVING OPHELIA.  Finding the information about the struggles of adolescent girls quite enlightening.  The following poem (draft form) presents some ideas I have gleaned from this work.

I am young, I am me,
I love what I love, can be what I will be.
I feel bold, I feel brave,
I'm a princess in a castle, a hunter in a a cave.
I might change the world, can change the world, will change the world -
Right after I run through the flowers and play in the mud.

I am an adolescent, I've lost me,
I am confused about what you want me to be.
I'm a teenager in my room, locked in myself, not what you see.
I am hidden from the world, labeled by the world, stunted in the world.
Right now I run from myself; I'm losing myself; I want to be myself -
but you are trying to tell me who I am.

Commercials, magazines, tv. They are not me, but what I see.
Telling me who I should be.
I'm yelling but no one hears.  The silence is deafening. 
Why do you get to decide who I am?
Why do I let you?

Who will win the battle for me?
Will I fight or  will I concede?

If conceding, the irony will be -
The world, others, society -
May have been better off with the real me.

1 comment: