Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Irony, Bradbury, Books




As technology continues its rapid and universal sweep throughout our country, I often wonder about what may be lost in the process. Now don't get me wrong, as I sit here and type this blog, I appreciate the ability to be able to type on a computer and post electronically. But I am worried that as with many aspects of our lives, we have lost the idea of balance. Ray Bradbury warns us over and over about this possibility through his works. He doesn't completely "diss" technology but cautions against what can be lost without a balance.
Ironically, it may eventually come to the point where his very cautions are relayed to the reader through technology itself. The newest technological "toy" allows one to download "books" onto an electronic hand-held device. I know for many this is ideal, and yes, it may take away the load of textbooks that students must carry back and fourth to school. But I am saddened by the possibility that an actual book may eventually become obsolete.

Maybe it has something to do with senses or that my eyes begin to blur and my head to hurt when I spend too long looking at a computer, but I want to be able to feel the book in my hands. From the crispness of the pages of a new novel to the soft, velvety feel of an well-worn book, I want the appeal to the senses that a bound book brings. I want to sit in a comfortable chair and hold the book (not the computer) in my hands. And what about pictures? Sure they can be added to the new techy book as well, but I will never forget the wonder and enjoyment of sitting with my child and reading a book with beautiful pictures, each of us holding a page in our hands.

Rambling thoughts, yes, but there is an essay in there somewhere. One that someday I will write. But until then, I just pray that should I attempt to publish those thoughts, there will still be a non-electronic book or magazine available in which to submit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment