Thursday, July 9, 2009

Friends








So often we take friendships for granted. Last year when I realized that we were moving over 500 miles away, I knew that my most diffcult adjustment would be leaving my two closest friends (we raised our children together). For over 17 years, they were just always there - a part of my life that was comfortable and expected. We were fortunate enough to work in the same school, seeing one another daily. Their different personalities meshing beautifully with my own. Their companionship and influence enriching my life. New experiences awaited me, but would I be the same without them? Would I lose a piece of myself by leaving them so far away? A sadness enveloped me. I moved forward, at least physically. The summer was tough. After 18 years in one place, I was in a new town sans friends, students or family.
However once school began, I made several wonderful discoveries: I wasn't less without my close friends, I was better because of them. Even without daily conversation, they were and will always be a large part of who I am and why I am. They may be farther away but always in my heart.
And even more amazing, the Lord has provided some awesome friends here. Truthfully, I did not expect to make close friendships, great acquaintances - yes - but really good friends - too much to ask. God is good! My life is blessed and will continue to be blessed by those who make a difference in my life. I can only pray that I will be the kind of friend to them that they have been and are to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment