Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bronzed


As I receive several poems of the day from this site.  I hope to share the ones that  stand out.  


BY DEAN YOUNG
That dusty bubble gum, once ubiquitous as starlings,   
is no more, my love. Whistling dinosaurs now populate   
only animation studios, the furious actions of angels   
causing their breasts to flop out in mannerist   
frescos flake away as sleet holds us in its teeth.   
And the bus-station's old urinals go under   
the grindstone and the youthful spelunkers   
graduate into the wrinkle-causing sun. The sea   
seemingly a constant to the naked eye is one   
long goodbye, perpetually the tide recedes,   
beaches dotted with debris. Unto each is given   
a finite number of addresses, ditties to dart   
the heart to its moments of sorrow and swoon.   
The sword's hilt glints, the daffodils bow down,   
all is temporary as a perfect haircut, a kitten   
in the lap, yet sitting here with you, my darling,   
waiting for a tuna melt and side of slaw   
seems all eternity I'll ever need   
and all eternity needs of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment