Friday, February 11, 2011

Up and Away - Travelling Time

February 12, 2011 -  A bit nostalgic theses days as Heather gets ready to graduate from college.  Seemed appropriate to put together two pieces I wrote - one upon her graduation from high school and the other as she turned 21.

Up and Away

How does one look forward while longing to go back?
There is something comforting in the known, the familiar.

Especially when it comes to offspring.



Who decided they should leave the nest anyway?

Are we birds – don’t they have to shove those babies out?

Mine is ready to fly – no pushing necessary.

Everyone keeps telling me this is good – this is what I have been working towards all along.

Isn’t good supposed to feel – well – good?

It doesn’t!!

Yet it does. Watching her fly makes my heart soar.

Yet, I can’t seem to squelch the desire to check the sky for

Storms,

Dark clouds,

Hail,

Vultures.



As she flies I note,

She is strong,

She is able,

She will get a little wet, but weather the storms,

Lose her way at times, only to avoid dark clouds at others,

Move through the hail, but learn when to seek shelter

And

Encounter vultures, only to truly recognize doves.

And hopefully she will always know that warmth, shelter and unconditional love

Can always be found in the safety of the nest.




“Enjoy her now because she will be grown before you know it”.  Cliché?   Maybe.  True?  Definitely.  My sweet little girl turns 21 today, and I truly don’t know where all of the time went.  It is a bittersweet day.  I so miss my little toddler, but I am so very proud of my young lady.  Bittersweet because I cannot be with her today, but she has good friends who will be.  Bittersweet because she doesn’t need her mom any more and because she doesn’t need her mom anymore.  On the day that she “legally” becomes an adult, I wish her the very best along the journey to come.  I hope that she will allow me to accompany her along that journey periodically (maybe even a little more), and I pray that her travelling time will bring her the wonderful blessings that she has brought to me throughout the last 21 years.  Travel well, travel safely, travel bravely, and leave beautiful memories to travel back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment